Monday, August 20, 2012

Pumpkin Scones


I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for a good scone. Actually any baked good really. They are my weakness. But I think a good scone is one of life's simple pleasures.
I was on the look out for a pumpkin scone recipe last year and I remembered I was given a cookbook for a wedding present (many years ago!) It was Lady Flo Bjelke - Petersen's cookbook.
Now I don't remember much about her but I do remember that she was famous for her pumpkin scones so I found her recipe in the book and gave them a whirl. Yum Yum Yum. They are easy and delicious. And made very often at our house - the kids (and adults) love them.
So thought I'd share the recipe with you all.  I have made a couple of minor adjustments to temperature of oven and length of cooking time to work with my oven so I'll put my adjustments in red.

PUMPKIN SCONES

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed pumpkin (cold)
2-2 1/2 cups self - raising flour

METHOD
1. Beat together butter, sugar and salt using an electric mixer
2. Add egg, then pumpkin. Finally, stir in by hand, sifted flour
3. Turn onto floured board and cut (I use my trusty Tupperware scone cutter!)
4. Place on a heated floured tray and cook on top shelf of very hot oven (225-250 degrees) for 15-20 minutes
(I cook mine at about 230 degrees for 10-12 minutes - I find them the perfect squishyness for my liking)
5. Eat (and try and resist eating more than one)
I freeze these scones after we've all had one. They defrost really nicely (and temptation is out of view).
I usually get about 13-14 scones from this recipe.
They are quite a sweet scone as opposed to a savoury one - which I like.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thanks for sharing xx